Monday, April 30, 2012

Scorched: Full-size Illustrations

Remember that Divine Comedy spinoff graphic novel I pitched for a comic book scripting class? Yeah, I guess it was too good to let go. I plan on continuing it more over the summer, but I had the exciting opportunity to work on it a little bit more in my Materials and Techniques class.

The assignment required us to design a battle team of sorts: a captain, a first mate, a heroic stowaway, and an animal companion. Super cool. It was helpful to already have designed a rowdy bunch of rascals during last quarter.

Oh yeah. And the team needed a battle vehicle--- anything ranging from a spaceship to a submarine, to Howl's Moving Castle. My story takes place in the circles of hell, so what better transport across the River Styx than an old viking ship? This isn't quite historically accurate, but whatever.

Ok. So with the team and battleship designed, we needed to illustrate three scenes: an 11x17 promo poster and two smaller (battle)scenes. The material? Dip-ink pens and brush only.


CHARACTER CONCEPTS:



I was required to invent a fourth character, so I designed Charon the Ferryman from the Divine Comedy.


THUMBNAILS:





ROUGH DRAFTS OF PIECES:

Original 11x17 poster. Composition was too tight and cluttered. No concept of texture.

Scene where Virgil is wounded. Needed an environment and better character acting.

Poorly thought out battle scene. No environment, no fighting taking place. Demon was not recognized as an enemy.



REVISIONS:





PROGRESS:


FINAL PIECES:





0 comments:

Post a Comment