Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Creature from the Black Lagoon

Another class I'm taking this quarter is Materials & Techniques for Sequential art. The first material our class experimented with was scratchboard. I've had a little experience with this medium before (junior high, maybe?) so I fared pretty well.

The assignment? Create a set of three scratchboard pieces that depict scenes from an old black and white horror film. I did my own take on The Creature from the Black Lagoon.




ORIGINAL CONCEPT SKETCHES:


Doodles while watching the film

Originally my creature was a diplocaulus, an prehistoric ambhibian.
The head shape did not work well.


Evolution of the creature into a piranha-type beastie 





THUMBNAILS:

Original thumbnails for the 5x7 piece

Thumbnails for the 8x10




COMPOSITION DEVELOPMENT:

My first idea for the 5x7. Decided this was too static and did not have enough texture.
Early concept for the 5x7. Once again, very static.
Final sketch
Value Study
First concept for one of the 8x10s

Issues with composition and anatomy

Value study
Originally my other 8x10 piece. I scrapped the idea altogether.




FINAL PIECES:





**BONUS COLOR:





Make sure to like this project on my Behance!



0 comments:

Post a Comment