Sample text





Monday, June 4, 2012

The Labours of Hercules

Probably my favorite assignment of my sophomore year at SCAD. Never thought I'd ever be painting a skate deck.

Everyone was pretty stoked about this assignment...at first. Our class was asked to create an acrylic painting on wood--either on a skateboard or a slab of masonite.

This was all really exciting--until our professor made it a free range assignment. Nothing is harder than barfing up a concept during your 30th week of art school--when you're burnt out beyond belief and only care about packing up your dorm room. Yeah.

That said... I learned to never underestimate the value of constantly writing down ideas. Those brilliant concepts that come to you when you wait in line at a theme park or when your head hits the pillow at night---write them down, guys. For real. Even when you can't start any work during that actual moment of inspiration---write it down.You're a lucky kid to have a notepad of scribbles at your disposal, especially when you're desperate for an idea.

That's obviously where this came into play. For like the past year, I've wanted to do a piece based on the 12 Labours of Hercules, but I had never gotten around to it. Now, at the end of my sophomore year of SCAD, totally empty of any other ideas...I thought hey. Why not give it a go.

The only requirements for this project were to have it painted in acrylic on wood, and that it be a sequential piece. That means it could not be a single skate deck illustration. My Hercules concept was perfect for this. Greek vases art always told a story, and I could do the same.



ORIGINAL CONCEPT:

Contains Cerberus, Stymphalian Birds, Nemean Lion, Hydra, and Cretan Bull.

COLOR COMPS:



The winner!







PROBLEMS:

Rather than redraw the entire piece on the skateboard, I projected my original thumbnail onto the board using an artograph. Though this saved a lot of time, it also caused some registration errors with my piece. The drawing align correctly. The positioning of the artwork is a little off.

This piece would have been much cleaner had I used stencils. The technique I used instead was to paint layers of solid color and then scratch away linework with an Xacto knife.

The lion skin was originally yellow in the digital color comp. The palette did not translate well from digital into acrylic paint, so the yellow was replaced with a white.


FINISHED PRODUCT:

The addition of the Erymanthean Boar (previously empty space after registration error)


Addition of the Hind of Ceryneia 


A fun project. Though a little rushed, I am still pretty happy with the result. This was a great way to finish out my sophomore year!

Summer is officially here. I'll have some more stuff for you guys soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment