Sunday, December 31, 2017

Is It 2018 Yet?

To cut to the chase, I've been disappointed with how 2017 unfolded art-wise. Although I've worked tirelessly, I feel as though I have little to show for it. Normally I have a collage of my accomplishments for the year, but this time, it just didn't come together.

And you know what? That's ok.

I've had a very daring year in my personal life. 2017 included a great deal of travel, self-discovery, social engagements, and workplace highs and lows. December was my first month of returning to freelancing full-time, and it has been a positive experience thus far. It is my hope that a transition into a new year will bring about a surge of productivity. I have much to do in 2018.

2017 is not without things to celebrate:

  • Participated in Hourly Comic Day
  • Was considered for a gothic romance anthology
  • Started a button-making business, Pinback Buttons
  • Tabled at MSU Comics Forum
  • Reread and revised Petrichor for the first time
  • Tabled at Lansing Fantasticon
  • Tabled at Capital City Comic Con (my first con to revisit)
  • Made a comic about my trip to Mexico
  • Tabled at Grand Rapids Comic Con
  • Participated in NaNoWriMo again
  • Tabled at Grand Rapids Holiday Market
  • Presented at a storytelling event in Lansing
  • Met my goal of drawing 100 graphic novel pages despite breaking my shoulder in July
  • Returned to freelancing full-time

Total Comic Pages Drawn: 112


Going forward, I would like to:

  • Finish Minus, my graphic novel
  • Finish my comic on traveling to Tijuana
  • Experiment with risograph printing
  • Pitch a new graphic novel
  • Table at more conventions
  • Do sketchbook exercises every day
We'll see where this next year takes me. I hope it's my most productive and fulfilling yet!

To finish off the year, here is my December sketch dump:

























0 comments:

Post a Comment