Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Bearskin Adaptation #1

Thank goodness that we receive an extension on this project. I'm such a slow worker sometimes. But hey, it all worked out.

Our first major assignment for storyboarding class was to choose from a selection of fairy tales and then draw out our own take on it. I chose the Russian fairy tale, Bearskin, and set my version in an underwater civilization of merpeople and aquatic beasts. Why? I guess I've just got a thing for oceans and stuff.

Previously I posted 150 thumbnails of possible set layouts for my three finished boards. Guess what? I didn't choose any of them. I used them as guidelines as I created 3 new scenes: a one point, two point, and three point perspective. Each scene was based on events I chose from the story:


  1. Deal with the Devil
  2. Transformation
  3. Proposal to the Bride


I have a lot of practice using digital art programs like photoshop, so I decided to complete my thumbnails on my laptop. This allowed for quick and clean changes. I did, however, map out my thumbnails on a piece of paper.




From there I just imported them into photoshop, stretched them up to scale, and then inked over them digitally.




I messed up a lot. No worries, though. I had a week to toy with these. Here are the final, polished pieces.



The devil (a sea serpent) shows a merman warrior the whale graveyard. He accuses the merpeople of destroying the great beasts of the sea. In order to understand the damage his people have done to the marine life, the merman agrees to be transformed into a sea creature himself.

The merman is magically transformed into a hammerhead shark, and roams the seas lonesomely. His own people reject him, as well as the other sea creatures. Here I wanted to emphasize his isolation by having other animals flee from him.

In the original fairy tale, the man, Bearskin, saves an old man's life. In return, he is given the daughter's hand in marriage.In this board, Sharkskin proposes awkwardly to his reluctant bride.

I enjoyed this assignment. If you did too, you're in luck---there's a second part to this project. Stay tuned. More boards soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment